Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Our Proposal Story

Our proposal story begins while I was still in Greece.
Koko had left around mid-August. 
And, unbeknownst to me, had purchased a diamond engagement ring on September 1st. 
By the second week of October (our anniversary), he had asked my father for my hand in marriage at the same place where we had first met.
He had expected me to be there so that he could propose that weekend.
I never showed.
At this time, I was still up in the air about when I would return to California. 
I knew I wasn't going to stay forever, I just didn't know when I would leave. 
Koko and I were talking everyday.
One day, he said something that really stuck with me 
"Greece will always be there, I won't". 
An ultimatum. 
Either come home or it's over for good. 
I knew I had to come home. 
And as much as I love Greece, I love Koko more. 

I began searching for tickets.
He told me that the 2nd weekend of January he wanted to go to Lake Tahoe
a mini getaway to stay at a hotel recommended by his boss. 
I agreed. 
I'd be lying if I said I hadn't been a tiny bit suspicious. 
When I came home though, he gave no hint or indication that he would be proposing. 
I did ask my friend if she thought I should get my nails done just in case and she told me to do whatever I wanted (I wish I had!). 

On the morning of January 14th, we left my house for Lake Tahoe. 
We drove about an hour. 
It was freezing. 
As soon as we got there, Koko suggested we take the gondola ride to the Heavenly Ski Resort.
I had never been and I was excited to see the view of the lake from up high.
He was acting a bit funny.
He had slept on the couch the night before because he couldn't sleep [he was nervous] .
he went to the farthest staff member (there was one beside us) [he wanted to ask if we could ride the gondola alone]
and he nudged me away from him when I went to wrap my arms around him [the ring box was in his pocket],
but I really didn't think much of it.

We boarded the gondola and I toyed with my camera
snapping photos of the view
We had gotten to the point where all of the lake can be seen 
and for a quick moment I looked down at my camera to review a picture

Then I heard Koko say to me "so, I wanted to ask you a question"
I sort of smiled and turned to look at him
Before I could realize what was going on
he was kneeling beside me
holding open a box
with a diamond ring.

My mouth dropped open.
I. was. speechless.
I just stared.
The rest is sort of a blur, but I heard the words
"I love you"
"You make me so happy"
"I want to spend the rest of my life with you"
and then I was crying.

I nodded,
told him that I loved him, too
and he slipped the ring on my finger. 
He jokingly said "you never said yes" and I replied "yes, obviously, yes" and kissed him.

I spent the next 10 minutes calling and texting my family and friends.
I spent the rest of the day staring at my ring smiling
 telling everyone I saw  that we had just gotten engaged.

 I am excited beyond words to marry Koko in June.
My heart feels so full of love every time I think about it.


No comments:

Post a Comment