Saturday, May 14, 2011

spanakorizo recipe

Since my grandparents left me for the States
I have had full roam of the kitchen.
I am enjoying the opportunity to cook and test out recipes.
One of my absolute favorite dishes to make is Spanakorizo (Spinach rice)

It is easy, tasty and healthy!

I'm sure there are variations to the recipe,
but this is the one that I use and that I have found to taste best.

Spanakorizo Recipe

Ingredients
1.5 kg fresh spinach
1 cup white rice [Uncle Ben's is fine]
1 large onion, chopped
Dill, chopped
1 1/2 cans chopped tomatoes
Olive Oil
1 Lemon
Salt to taste
Pepper to taste
1 tablespoon Sugar

Preparation
Wash the spinach
Chop the onion [I used a food processor]
Chop the dill
Sautée the spinach in 3-4 tablespoons of olive oil until it wilts
Add onion
Add chopped tomatoes
Add dill
Add rice
Add salt, pepper and sugar
Mix together well
Cover and let everything cook for 12 minutes
Turn off heat
Let sit for 10 minutes
Add lemon
Add 2 tablespoons of olive oil
Mix well
*Note: I did not pre-boil the rice, but I wish I had. It was a little harder than I would have liked. Although the recipe didn't call for it, I would advise boiling the rice in water to soften it a bit before adding it to the spinach.

Try the recipe and let me know how you like it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

You might also like: