Saturday, May 14, 2011

Πάσχα-Easter

I ended up staying in Chania for Easter.
My friends convinced me that it would be a lot of fun
because everyone would be on 2 weeks of Spring Break
and the city would come alive.

They were right.
There were plenty of events and people out nightly.
The weather was fantastic and I had a great time.

For the Holy Saturday service I went to the village of Aroni with friends.
The moment the priest began to sing "Χριστός Ανέστη" [Christ is Risen]the church bells began to ring
fireworks started
and the burning of Judas began.

The Burning of JudasThe burning of Judas is an Easter-time ritual celebrated on the island of Crete.
A doll where an effigy of Judas Iscariot [who betrayed Jesus Christ] is hung from a tree with leaves and branches beneath.
It is then lit on fire and fireworks explode.
Anthropologists generalize these type of activites as "scapegoating rituals"
Customs vary, but the effigy of Judas is typically hanged reenacting Matthew 27:5) on Good Friday, then burned on the night of Easter Sunday.

Easter SundayFor the actual day I was invited by my cousin to spend the day with his wife's family in the village of Vatolakko.
It was wonderful.
The village was beautiful.
We had a lamb on the spit, kalitsounia, pilafi, kokoretsi, and other traditional Greek foods.


The weather was fabulous all week.

No comments:

Post a Comment