Sunday, March 20, 2011

The Acropolis

This post is long overdue.

In March, I spent 2.5 weeks in Athens (plus a few days in Patra) visiting my God siblings.
While there,
we experienced Athens nightlife,
navigated the metro,
shopped on Ermou,
visited the Acropolis,
and explored the new Acropolis Museum.


My first taste of Athens by night was an outing to a club named "Boutique" for an "RnB" night (in Greece they call "Hop-Hop" music "RnB" and "RnB" is called "Jazz". Don't ask me why).
It was completely packed, but very fun.

The day my God sister and I spent at the Acropolis was perfect.
Warm and sunny with a light breeze.
It had snowed a few days before, but the weather cleared just in time for our little adventure.
We climbed up to the Acropolis and took lots of photographs.
Since it was low season, there weren't too many tourists which was great.

It had been 10 years since I last visited the Acropolis.
I loved it then, but even more so now.
Having graduated with a degree in Anthropology
and having taken several Archaeology courses, it meant more to me this time.
I had a much greater appreciation for everything; the architecture, as well as a better understanding of ancient lifeways.

Afterwards, we crossed the road to Lofos (Hill) Filopappou.
My god sister and I hiked it to the very top and saw hundreds of caterpillars along the way.
We took in an amazing view of Athens on one side and the Acropolis on the other while sitting atop a giant rock.
We heard music being played and found it to be a man playing Lyra (the traditional instrument of Crete-the island we are both from) beneath a rock with the Acropolis in the distance.
It was inspiring.
Special life moments like that remind me of how wonderful life is and how lucky I am to be experiencing it.


A few days before, we visited the newly built Acropolis Museum.
It is a great museum. Very nicely built and kept clean. Well done.
There are a lot of exhibitions and a variety of artifacts.
The Greeks have made copies or left empty spots where they hope their marbles are returned to them.

No comments:

Post a Comment