Saturday, February 19, 2011

Milan

Milan did not impress me and it was my least favorite place visited.

Maybe I expected too much from the "fashion and design capital of the world".

I had always visualized it as something similar to Rodeo Drive of Beverly Hills;
a long strip of designer stores and beautiful people.
It was more like a financial district with expensive shops here and there.

It is a great city if you
have no interest in history or culture
are boring
love to shop
have access to an unlimited supply of money.

At least now I can say I've been to Milan.

Duomo/Milan CathedralA gothic, pointy cathedral.
Galleria Vittorio Emanuele II
Milan's famous shopping arcade. It includes shops like Prada, Louis Vuitton & Gucci (which also had its own cafe!)

I had hoped to see the Leonardo Da Vinci's The Last Supper, but the line was a mile long and our tour guide told us that one has to book 2 months in advance to see the painting.

At the end of the day, we got caught up in a large demonstration at Piazza Castello.
Apparently women across Italy rallied to protest Berlusconi's sex scandal.
And I thought earlier in the day they were setting up for a concert.
Women were carrying signs, chanting and waving white rags.
It was pretty amazing to be there and I got a lot of photogaphs.
You can read more about the rallies here, here, and here.

I was more excited about the protests than the shopping!

We checked in to the hotel and it was one of the best of the trip.We enjoyed risotto for dinner at the restaurant.

Since it was Valentine's Day Eve, some of the girls and I decided to go out to celebrate.
Tiana joined us and we headed to "Hollywood" in hopes of seeing some famous people.
We were told by several locals that this was the "best club in Milan" and that football stars and models visit frequently.
The club was full of anorexic-like skinny women who strutted like they were on a catwalk.
There was a 25 Euro cover charge, 5 Euro coat check and 10 Euro drinks.
I was not impressed with the venue itself (it reminded me of a dive bar, not an upscale club for the rich and famous), but we made the most of it and had a lot (I mean A LOT) of fun dancing the night away.
Outside with the girls we were talking about Valentine's Day and an Englishman overheard and bought me 3 roses off of a gypsy in the street.

We arrived back at the hotel at around 6 AM after a hilarious taxi ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment