Monday, January 17, 2011

the beginning

So, why did I leave my quaint suburban (occassional clubbing/bar hopping) life

for this?
You're kidding, right?
But I understand when people question my choice.
My family is there. My friends are there. My whole "life" is there.
But I wanted something more.
Some sightseeing. Some independence. Some adventure.
And I deserve it (I'm getting more comfortable saying that).
Over the past year, I battled (and beat!) cancer.
I also graduated from college.
I always said (but didn't really believe) that I would travel after graduation. It sounded like fun; like one of those crazy ideas that never translate into reality.
When I was sick though, I thought a lot about life.
And death.
And all of the things I wanted to do and see before I die.
And how badly I wanted to travel.
At times, when I was in pain, I would let my mind wander to the beach, my feet covered in sand with a view of the ocean and the sound of waves crashing on the shore.
Picturing myself traveling far was my escape from being sick.

After graduation (and a clean bill of health), I took the opportunity life (and my parents funds-thanks mom and dad!) offered me.
The timing is perfect.
I am young.
I am not in school.
I am not set in a career (yet).
I am not married (yet).
And I do not have children (yet).
So here I am.
On the island of Crete, Greece.
So far, just relaxing, but my adventure will be kicked in to high gear soon.
And I. can't. wait.

1 comment:

  1. Koula, I hope you have the time of your life!

    ReplyDelete